Wednesday, October 14, 2009

It's Raining Cats and Dogs!

Today is a rainy day here in SoCal! I am not used to this weather. It is days like this that make me want to curl up at home with a good book and a big, hot bowl of chili! Yes, chili!

I have a pretty good and simple recipe that most enjoy - unless you are only an herbivore!

I start with fresh ground chuck (my husband likes to grind his own cuts of meat to make ground beef so I don't usually buy ground beef from the store anymore!)

Chili:
1-1.5 pounds of ground beef
One chopped onion
Two large cans of chili beans
One 8 oz. can of tomato sauce
One large can of whole tomatoes - chopped
1 tsp. salt; 2 tsp. pepper; 1 tsp. season salt (does not have to be exact)
2 Tbsp. chili powder
Half tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. sugar (granulated)

Brown seasoned meat and onion. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili beans, sugar, garlic and chili powder (if you like it spicier, add more chili powder).
Mix and simmer on low for a few hours or all day (best in crock pot!)

My husband likes very spicy foods so I also add some dried chili peppers (broken open with seeds - depending how many you put in, it will be more or less spicy!)

Serve in a bowl with shredded cheddar cheese on top and fresh chopped onions. I also serve it with sliced bread for dipping. It is scrumdiliumptious!

Enjoy....

No comments:

Post a Comment